Ads 468x60px

Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Not My Fave.

Besides eating at home, I have also been reading and following blogs that talk nutrition and nourishment. I would have to be crazy to say that I didn't see issues in my families diet - too much sugar and flour, not enough fruits and vegetables are among the list.

I know this sounds juvenile but I just don't like them. I can't stomach the thought of eating them so I don't make them and therefore my children do not have a chance to form an opinion. I have these crazy childhood memories of sitting at the table for hours or being forced to choke down lima beans as I sat gagging. I still don't like lima beans and don't even offer them at our table.

I also struggle with fruits. I hate fruit. Nothing disgusts me more than fruit. It's not the flavor. It's the texture. I know it sounds crazy but it's so gross.

I am also very particular about the vegetables I eat. I tend to lean towards the carb veggies and leave the rest sitting.

There are articles after articles talking about the health benefits of  fruits and vegetables and I just cannot ignore the facts anymore. In my opinion, it's one thing to be ignorant of the facts and a completely other to know the facts but ignore them. I cannot ignore any longer.

I pray for an abundant and healthy life for myself but even more so for my children.

As parents, we want to give them every advantage - put them in sports so they can meet friends or even get a scholarship, put them in the best school so they have every academic advantage and the list goes on.

Why if we want the best for our children is nutrition put on the back burner?

For me, it's pure laziness and lack of motivation. Why make a good meal when there is carry out down the street?

For the Davis house, the tide is turning. It's beginning with our journey (once again) to the family table and as we join hands around it, we will be thankful. As we get eating at home down, we will move into more healthy and nourishing preparations and foods.

I'd be kidding myself if I said this is going to be easy. It's not but I can tell you that watching my 8 year old son with debilitating asthma is much more painful. Here is where I take my stand.

Will you join me? If not for yourself, for the health of your family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment